A couple of months ago, a nice fluffy package arrived filled with all sorts of fibery goodness.
In trying to defend my fiber acquisition, I reminded Mike that he picked out one of the braids for me to make him socks. After I listened to how he suspected that he'd never see those socks, I marched straight to the wheel to start spinning his braid. I suspect he might have been using a little reverse psychology. It worked.
Mike's chosen fiber (apparently Hartford Whalers' colors circa 1985):
The fiber is superwash BFL. Soft, fluffy, drafts-like-butter BFL. I seriously loved every minute of spinning it, and not being able to tear myself from the wheel, it only took a couple of days. I was aiming for yarn that would be around DK weight after I chain plied, and estimated that I should be able to get around 225 yards of yarn to use for An American in China socks.
Plan: Good. Execution: FAIL.
I divided the fiber evenly and spun 2 separate skeins. The thickness looked and measured about right, but then I checked the yardage. Each skein was only about 80 yards for a total of 160. It was about DK thickness but dense. Really dense. F*&^%^K!!
On the positive side, the yarn did come out super pretty, and there was only a 2 yard difference between my 2 skeins, so I think I'm getting better with the consistency thing.
Consistent or not, 160 yards was not nearly enough. There went my pattern idea, and Mike nixed the idea of ankle socks. I thought about knitting him a hat instead. Thought about begging Ravelers to sell me some more of the colorway. Thought about ordering fiber to spin heel/toe yarn. In the end, I just chucked the yarn angrily into a bag. Perfectly understandable.
But then I went to the LYS to buy needles for Laika, which gave me a good excuse to look for some coordinating yarn to use for heels, toes, and cuffs. Superwash Cascade sportweight was the only yarn I could find in decent color, and since it's lighter weight than my handspun, I've had to knit the heel and toe on smaller size needles and then do some funky increasing and decreasing to get the size right. There has been a good bit of ripping and making Mike try on the sock 500 times to make sure it fit. Even with all that adjusting and ripping, socks with heavier weight yarn go FAST.
So they won't be tall socks. But they will be finished, wearable, nice thick house socks for winter, which I can point to as tangible proof that packages of fiber tumbling into the house is a GOOD thing.
And see, Laika is right there with me and not being neglected at all.
Laika sleeve update: I'm almost finished with sleeve #1 and resisting the temptation to turn this into a sweater with 3/4 length sleeves. Despite sock and scarf knitting, I have been working away on it every night this week. It occurred to me that I listed 3 sweaters I wanted to finish by the end of the year, and they all need full sleeves. That's 5 more sleeves! Groan. I figure if I can finish Laika by the end of the month, I should be able to finish Low Tide in November, and can battle Vivian in December. Yes, I'm back to my old tricks of knitting schedules and deadlines. It's who I am and I'm embracing it. Or something.