Friday, October 4, 2013

Finished Object Friday: Brainless Socks

Trying to get back in the swing of the whole blogging thing.  This time with yarn!


Pattern:  Brainless by Yarnissima
Yarn:  Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Mediumweight
Needles: 2.5mm

Not the best project to rejuvenate the blog though.  There's very little to say.  The most exciting thing about this project is that I used up yarn I bought in 2009.  That's probably only exciting to me, huh? I'm determined to knit up some of my older stash yarn. But I've been determined for a few years.  Still, progress is progress, and there is one less skein in the sock yarn drawer now.  Not much else to say about this project. They're socks.  I knit them.  The end.

Moving on.

It's October (although I'm not sure Mother Nature got the memo) which usually means that I'm in full "knit down the all the WIPs" mode. I do really really want to finish up the half-knit projects lingering in the knitting drawers, but I suspect this year will not be as productive as last year.  After finishing the Brainless socks, I did not pick up other socks that are half done.  Or one of the sweaters stuffed in project bags.  Instead, I cast on a new sock.


I can't even claim to be using up stash with this project.  Although I'm not using new yarn either. I started the sock with a small ball of leftover yarn from these.


I really never liked these socks and the yarn is just way too yummy to waste on socks that didn't leave the sock drawer all year.  I've been thinking I should rip them out for months.  Yesterday I finally did.  It's amazing how fast a finished sock can turn into a heap of curls.


Even more amazing is what a little water will do.


I'm off to soak the second skein and wind up the first so I can continue on with my new project.

Visit Tami's for more FO Friday!

4 comments:

  1. Socks certainly count! At least in my world.
    I am always amazed what water does to yarn curls. I liked the ripped socks as well, but understand why they had to go. I am not a big fan of lace patterns on my socks. I wear socks for warmth (necessity in our climate) and lace makes them drafty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those socks, off to look up the pattern. And good for you for salvaging that yarn, I am so impressed what water will do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Brainless are gorgeous. I must make those one day if I could just stop being terrified of the toe-up-thing. That was a great idea to rip out the other socks because that pattern was um...different. LOL ! I have added Your blog to my blogroll and btw I love Your owl socks. Very nice and an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give toe-up a try! I tend to slightly prefer cuff down, but there are way too many awesome sock patterns to avoid toe-up completely. It's really not scary at all :)

      Delete