Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Taking the Hint

I've been spinning like crazy for the past several days (a post for another day), but I decided today that I wanted to start a new knitting project.  I've had a cute vest pattern in mind for awhile and  perfect yarn from last year's Maryland Sheep and Wool festival--Brooks Farm Solo Silk.  I started winding the first 400 yard skein.  There were ten knots.  Seriously.  Ten.  Discouraged but determined, I decided to forge ahead and just deal with the idea of weaving in a lot of ends.  I went to buy the pattern.  The site was experiencing problems and wouldn't let me check out.  I sent a message to customer service and they got back to me super quickly.  The site is still not working for me, so now I'm waiting for a paypal invoice and they'll email me the pattern.  Okay, great, but a few hours have gone by, and I want to start knitting NOW.

Moving on, I decided I would start a Clockwork scarf, another project I've been planning for awhile.  I've had a deep red skein of yarn for several years now.  It's only 330 yards so not enough for a shawl on its own.  No problem--I'll get a pretty contrast color and make Clockwork.  Perfect.  I ordered another skein of the same yarn--Three Irish Girls Kells Sport Merino, which arrived a few weeks ago.  This was the first time I ordered directly from Three Irish Girls, and I was so impressed with the package, I had to take a picture. 


So nice, right?  I'm in love with the tape measure.  But I digress--okay, back to the scarf.  The yarns look gorgeous together, yes?


And having struck out with the Crystal vest, I decided tonight was the night to start Clockwork.  I bought the pattern, downloaded the PDF, and was immediately struck by:
     Color A--420 yards
     Color B--295 yards

420!!!  WHAT?!?!?!?!?!!?

I don't have enough yarn.  Each skein is only 330 yards. That sucks.  And it was right there on the pattern website, which if I had only read, would have saved me buying a pattern that I won't be using anytime soon.  Crap.

Fine, universe, fine.  Have it your way.  No new new project.

1 comment:

  1. There's always your queue digging???

    Oh and, in their defense, I've would 5 skeins of Solo Silk and have yet to find a knot. Sorry :-( (totally cursing myself for the next skein I wind)

    ReplyDelete