Friday, September 7, 2012

Finished Object Friday: The Birdhouse Scarf

Back in January I started weaving a scarf with my new loom.  Everyone says weaving goes fast.  The only problem is that it only goes fast if you take the loom out of the closet.  Isn't this blog is just a wealth of useful information?  Don't answer that.  Nevertheless, after over 8 months, I can finally present my first finished weaving project.


Yarn:  Rainy Days and Wooly Dogs Strychnine, Little Birdhouse in My Soul
Pattern: Plain weave, 84 ends, 10 dent reed.
Finished Size: length=79 inches, including fringe; width=7 inches

Part of the reason the scarf lingered for so long in the closet is because I ran out of yarn and wanted the scarf to be another foot longer.  By the time I sought out some more yarn and a generous Raveler sent me some of her leftovers, I had completely lost interest in the project.  Only when I had a bout of insomnia a week or so ago was I motivated enough to pull out the loom and finish the scarf.  I'm happy with the finished project, although it certainly reveals I have a lot of practice ahead of me.  The main issue?  Edges.  One side is nice and neat, but the other?  Not so much.


I'm a little discouraged that I haven't been motivated to spend more time on learning to weave, but then I remind myself that it took a few tries before I really dove into spinning as well.  There were several false starts with spindles before the obsession really took hold.  Every relationship takes work; I know weaving and I will grow to love each other soon.  Before I start my next project, I think I'm going to spend some time watching the Craftsy lessons on Rigid Heddle Weaving.  A little instruction might be just what I need to feel more comfortable with my loom and eager to get weaving.  Well that and figuring out what else I can do with fabric from a small loom that is not a scarf.

Until then, just the one pretty scarf to admire.


I'm going back to my spinning wheel now.  Happy Friday all!

Visit Tami's for more FO Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous! This scarf turned out really beautifully! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete