Friday, July 30, 2010

Just Because I Can

Last weekend was hugely productive for me. In addition to putting the final touches on Tempest, I also finished up my current shawl-in-progress.

Pattern:  Wandering the Moor (Ravelry pattern) by Celeste Glassel
Yarn: Brooks Farm Duet
Needles: size 7 US
Cast on: May 5
Bind off:  July 25
Mods:  absolutely none, and I love it!
It's a quick knit, but I put it aside for about 2 months.  This is definitely a cold weather shawl, and I think it's going to look gorgeous wrapped around a fitted black turtleneck in winter.  I didn't have any intentions of trying out that combo in the middle of record-breaking hot summer weather, and so I present, shawl with shorts and t-shirt:



I've only recently started knitting shawls, and this is the largest I've made so far. I know I will really enjoy it one day.  For now it's folded and in the closet waiting for appropriate weather, and I'm onto new things.  In the last few days, I've cast on 3 new sweaters.  Yup, you read that right--3 sweaters.  Yes, there are socks I wanted to finish by the end of the month that are far from finished, but whatever.  I've been patient and finished my larger projects, and now I will cast on to my heart's content just because I can.

Sweater #1:  Patience is a Virtue
Pattern:  Goodale (Ravelry Pattern) by Cecily Glowik MacDonald
Yarn:  Sanguine Gryphon Skinny Bugga! in Southern Green Stink Bug
Cast on: July 25


I've been waiting to start this sweater for what feels like forever but in reality, really only a month.  I splurged and bought new yarn (which is much more green in person), and I've been chomping at the bit to get going.  It's taken every ounce of patience I could muster to hold off.  The evening that I bound off the shawl, I cast on Goodale.  There's not much to show yet since I quickly realized I might not be in the mood for a stockinette sweater, but since it's short-sleeved and will be a lightweight cardi perfect for late summer/early fall, this one is the priority.

Sweater #2:  Um, Why?
Pattern:  Silk Cocoon Cardigan by Connie Chang Chinchio in Interweave Knits, Spring 2009
Yarn:  Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk DK
Cast on: July 27


I've had this yarn for almost 3 years.  It's one of those "what was I thinking?" purchases.  The color is way too bright for my taste, and I've learned a lot about yarn since this purchase, namely, that alpaca sheds like crazy and this particular yarn is not comfortable close to the skin.  Nevertheless, for no explicable reason, I dug out a skein this week and cast on a pattern that I'm not really in love with but seemed like a good fit for the yarn.  Not loving the pattern combined with not being sure I'll even wear a hot pink sweater (and could possibly run out of yarn anyway) equals a sweater that could be a WIP forever.  I started with a sleeve, and once I got used to the p5tog, I've actually been enjoying the hell out of myself working on this.  I don't get it.

Sweater #3:  Impulsive
Pattern:  Leyfi by Rosemary Hill in Interweave Knits, Fall 2010
Yarn:  Tahki Bunny
Cast on: July 28

The final sweater is just me being impulsive and fickle.  I saw the pattern in the preview for the new Interweave issue and thought it would be a good fit for some bulky yarn I have that needed a project.  When my magazine arrived, I cast on.  No swatch or anything -- I just went for it.  I knit 6 rows of the neck and put it back in the drawer so there's not even enough worth photographing.  I have no idea when I'll get back to it, although writing about it, I'm thinking I may go pick it up now instead of going back to a sock.  And I don't feel guilty about that at all (well, not much).

And finally to show some inspiration for the title of this blog, here's a little sample of my yarn-tangling tendencies.  This mishap occurred as I wound the yarn for Goodale.  I have no idea how I manage to tangle yarn on a swift.  It's a talent.



0 comments:

Post a Comment